The Horn of Africa Center for strategic and Intl. Studies (Horn CSIS) is an independent Non-profit, Non-governmental (NGO) Research and policy think-tank established in 2005. It is highly distinguished by international and up-to-date standards in terms of its structure, management, instruments and expected outcomes.
The Horn CSIS‘s plans have been drawn to positively reflect on the state, society, security, military and socio-economic situations in Somalia and the Horn of Africa (Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Somalia and Sudan) region. Its outputs also supposed to support, Augment, enhance and effect the decision and policy-makers, researchers, and stalk holders in the political and civil societies in their analysis and understanding of current political and security issues in Somalia and the region.
The Horn CSIS Area of concern and research encompasses Yemen, Red sea, Bab Al-Mandab, Gulf of Aden seaways and the countries that border the Indian ocean.
To provide decisive and scientifically-based reports and information to the decision and policy makers in Somalia and the region.
To bridge the gap between policy making and knowledge by promoting the rational way of thinking and providing timely analyses; researches and in-depth strategic insights.
- 1. Addressing national and international issues on strategic, political, economic and social issues related to Somalia, Yemen and the Horn of Africa region.
- 2. Adapting pertinent scientific and rational methodology in researching and thinking, far from traditional scholastic approaches.
- 3. Encouraging local and international researchers, thinkers and analysts in carrying research on issues affecting Somalia and the region.
- 4. Revising the imposed western theories and concepts on Somali and African societies envisage suitable conceptual frameworks.
- 5. Capitalizing all capacities available to contribute knowledge accumulation on Somalia, Yemen and the region.
- 6. Supporting studies and activities that my improve education, security, socio-economic and cultural issues currently facing Somalia and the region.
Scope (Vital sphere) and Mandate:
The scope of the center is identified by two imperatives:
- 1. The Horn CSIS areas of interest that stretched over strategic (security and defense), political, socio-economic, agricultural and cultural affairs, in addition there are two distinct programs of energy resources and fishers studies.
- 2. The Horn CSIS geo-political sphere covers the following:
- Somalia, Yemen and countries of the Horn of Africa region
(Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya and Sudan).
- Surrounding vital sphere, which includes the Red sea littoral states, and the Gulf States (GCC), Iran, Persian Gulf, and countries bordering the Indian Ocean.
- The above-mentioned imperatives, however, are overlapping and as a result, by virtue and the nature of International and local affairs Somalia is affects and affected by the dynamics and interactions of these factors. Therefore, the Horn CSIS tries to address these dynamics and issues as long as they are directly or indirectly related to Somalia and the Horn region.
The Horn of Africa CSIS region concern
Main studies programs:
- 1. Strategic studies:
Military and defense studies. Security and terrorism studies. Environmental studies.
Super power strategic studies.
Regional and middle power studies (Iran, Turkey, India, Pakistan and Malaysia).
- 2. Political studies:
Foreign policy and international relations.
Good governance and democratization studies. Human rights and Gender studies.
Somalia and the Horn region studies.
- 3. Economic studies:
Agricultural, industrial and fisheries studies. Monitory banking and financial studies.
- 4. Nationalism studies:
Africa + Arab nationalism studies. Somali nationalism.
Cultural and linguistic studies.
Diaspora and refugee studies.
- 5. Resources studies:
Oil + mineral studies.
Water + Environment studies.
Means of implementation:
The Horn CSIS carries out its work through different channels as follows:
– Quarterly Periodicals.
– Specialized Series & Occasional Papers.
– Research Papers.
– Policy Papers (Policy Watch).
– Annual Report.
– Workshops + collegial.
– Press releases.
- International donations.
- Private donations, contributions and grants from international donates.
- Fund-raising and sales from prints.
- Consulting fees.
Board of directors:
Prof. Abdullah A. Wardhere, (UAE). Dr.Bischara Ali Egal, Executive director. Dr. Joel Schindel, Saskatoon, (Canada). Dr. Sadiya Bischara, (TUMS), (IRAN). Dr. Abdirizaak Koshin Barre (UK).
Col. Hussein Weheliye Farah, (Ret.) Army officer.
P.O. Box: 68234, Nairobi, KENYA.
P.O. Box: 27015, Saskatoon, SK. S7H 5N9, Canada.
P.O. Box: 3688, Djibouti, Republic of Djibouti. P.O. Box: 1975, Mogadishu, Somalia.
For more information please contact:
Tel.: +967-733441467 – 736344161
Sana’a – Yemen